Losing Weight and Staying Healthy Eating Burgers

Losing weight and staying healthy eating burgers is easy, it can be done, I’ve proved it. All you need is a little diligence to stick with a simple healthy shopping list, regular visits to make blood donations, and a hunger for grease, buns and beef.

OMG life has so many options and it’s far too simple to make choices that completely contradict one another. Let me explain… I don’t know if this is true for you but for me, sometimes I have theses moments of weakness where my food choices do not even compare with my health and lifestyle ideologies. I’m talking about burgers… Gosh I love myself a good burger. I’m not talking about those hamburgers either – you know the ones with salad on them; I’m talking about burgers – the ones with meat, sauce and cheese, thats it! I like them so much I even started a burger blog to let you know where the best ones are.

IMG_6289

Luckily, weight management is all a numbers game on a consistent basis. Essentially, if calories consumed is less than calories burned we are going to be losing weight, and it’s the complete opposite if you invert the relationship. Both options are completely fine too depending on how you want to present yourself. For me, as strength and conditioning coach of athletes I don’t see any use in walking around looking like the Michelin Man, and thus I need to keep myself in above-reasonable shape.

To achieve this I’ve become a little bit diet and lifestyle savvy and I am going to share with you exactly what I’ve developed. First up I think dieting sucks, just thinking of the word makes me want to give up, preferably I think lifestyle choices are much easier to swallow – pun intended. I’ve tried a fair few of the “diets” out there – paleo, slow-carb, keotgenic, and IIFYM. Funny, they all worked when I needed to shed a few unwanted kilos! But I got tired of them all; they were pretty monotonous and I felt like I was living life like a robot.

The best option I found was the 80-20 principle; as long as 80% of my food intake was from raw foods, the other 20% could come from a Burger. I must mention that during this period I was pretty strapped for cash so the food variety wasn’t high. Monday to Friday, my meals looked like this:

  • Breakfast: 4 Weetbix, 1 scoop Gold Standard, a few walnuts, and milk.
  • Lunch: 1/4 Roast chicken, 1/2 sweet potato & green beans.
  • Dinner: 1 frozen salmon portion, 1/2 sweet potato & green beans.
  • Snacks: 1 cup frozen blue & raspberries & 200mL organic natural yogurt, and a nut-bar.

On the weekend my “Linner” option (yes Linner means lunch and dinner in the one meal), which I’m not even going to explain were absolutely delicious, greasy, artery-hardening burgers – look for yourself here. Now that I look back on it, I was heading into the weekends with a high caloric deficit and my body was screaming out for some calories, and this is why the system I developed worked. I was probably messing around with my leptin levels (read more about leptin); I read, “A cheat day is a sure way to jump-start your metabolism and to normalize leptin levels.”

Now you’re probably thinking, “eating those burgers once a week cannot be good for you.” Don’t worry I thought the same thing, and so I came up with a solution to keep and eye on my health while doing some good for humanity at the same time. My secret… The Red Cross Blood Service is a great place to get a free health checkup while simultaneously helping others. I’ve been giving plasma monthly for nearly a year now. I can go in and save three lives, while checking my weight, blood pressure, resting heart rate and blood hemoglobin (iron levels). Perfecto!

Let’s look at the numbers during this period of my life:

August 2015 – Weight 91.4 | BP 103/57 | RHR 52 | Hb 146
September 2015 – Weight 88.5 | BP 123/67 | RHR 50 | Hb 145
October 2015  – Weight 86.3 | BP 111/72 | RHR 46 | Hb 147
November 2015 – Weight 85.5 | BP 112/68 | RHR 47 | Hb 156

The numbers don’t lie… I had a wonderful time experiencing some of the best burgers Sydney had to offer while and losing weight like a it was easy. Here is a picture from the 28th of November 2015 – I’m not saying I am heaps lean, but for me I am happy with this condition and able to do whatever life throws at me.

Screen Shot 2016-03-06 at 2.27.24 pm

Some people will tell you that you can’t have everything in life, I am one of the people that will say you can. All you need is a willingness to put it the work, trial and error, dilligence and results will come. Use your body like a science experiment. If losing weight is something you struggle with contact me and I can help you.

Like, share, and comment below if you like or hate what I have to say.

 

admin

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *